The movie got lots of raves even before it was shown. Thanks to the reputation of the Burton-Depp tandem who has never failed to entertain their audience with every material they release in the public. Add to that, Alice also had some other things to thank for: the superb cast in it in the person of Helena Bonham-Carter and Anne Hathaway, a promising new star, Mia Wasikowska, and the 3D technology.
After it’s showing date, people had mixed reviews with the said movie. Some say it failed expectations; others uttered it delivered. Personally, I think it awed me to bits.
The first part of Alice could receive “boring” remarks. After all, who would put much effort in understanding the accent which sounded homey and seems to put you to sleep. Anyway, I’d say that in order to appreciate and understand the value of this movie, you’d really have to look through.
The best part of the movie for me is the quotables. Here are a few exceptional ones that I could remember:
“The only way to achieve the impossible is to believe it is possible.” – Alice’s Dad to Alice
- There’s only one secret: Believe!
“You lived your life to please others. The choice must be yours.” – The White Queen to Alice
- Having been engaged to a Hamish which she does not have love for in order to save their family, Alice felt that all she can do is be told what she must do (Even wearing stockings when she thought it was not necessary just because everyone expects a lady to!) even if she doesn’t feel like it. This time, the White Queen has given her the chance to decide for herself.
“Nothing is achieved with tears.” – Absalom (the Caterpillar)
- Sometimes, we dwell with our bad situations, not realizing we could move from there. It was one thing Alice did, and she got results.
Finally, this is not a quote but one of my favorite parts of the movie. Alice remembers how wide her imagination is and put into mind that whenever she wakes up, there are six things she believes are real. As she decided to fight with the Jabberwocky, here are the things that made her go for it, not only for herself but for those who believe in her:
1. There’s a drink that can make me shrink.
2. There’s a cake that can make me big.
3. Animals can talk.
4. Cats can disappear.
5. There’s a place called Wonderland.
6. I can slay the Jabberwocky.
Those are simple truths; seemingly impossible but truth is we view them as hard to achieve. A more greater truth, though, that we fail to realize is that no matter how difficult they appear to be, they are achievable.
Same is true with life. In order to achieve what seems to be impossible, we just have to make a choice for ourselves, and most importantly, believe. 🙂